Updated: Aug 14
1. Coarctaction of the Aorta – congenital heart defect due to a “crimp” in aorta leading to bounding brachial and radial pulses and decreased femoral pulses.
2. Kawasaki Disease – vasculitis causing high fever for over 5 days, conjunctivitis, strawberry tongue, and edema of hands and feet.
3. Commotio Cordis – chest trauma resulting in V Fib or Asystole.
4. Caregiver’s diluting formula – causes hyponatremia and risk of seizures.
5. Volvulus – malrotation of bowel causing bilious vomiting, surgical emergency.
6. Intussusception – telescoping of bowel causing currant-jelly stool and sausage-shaped mass. Treat with barium enema.
7. Henoch-Schoenlein Purpura (HSP) – vasculitis with purpuric rash and fever.
8. Glomerulonephritis – brown foamy urine and peripheral edema after strep throat.
9. MVC Lap-restraint only - small bowel rupture and chance fracture.
10. Straddle injury – bicycle, bathtub, or sports injuries, GU consult if difficulty urinating.
11. Legg-Calve-Perthes – avascular necrosis of the femoral head, seen in shorter males, present with a limp.
12. Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis – hip disorder in obese adolescents.
13. Hair tourniquet – remove hair immediately by cutting or hair remover.
14. Down’s Syndrome – risk of atlantoaxial instability.
15. Measles – the 3 C’s – cough, coryza, and conjunctivitis, with Koplik spots.
16. Reye’s Syndrome – Chicken pox or flu, treated with aspirin.
17. Diphtheria – grey pseudomembranous coating in the back of the throat.
18. Prenatal vitamin ingestion – Treat with chelating agent Desferal to bind with iron.
19. Alkaline battery ingestion – causes liquification necrosis so remove ASAP.
20. Tick paralysis – numbness and tingling starting in lower extremities, after tick attachment.
PDB Nurse Education, LLC CPEN References
American Academy of Pediatrics. Neonatal Resuscitation Program. www.aap.org
American Heart Association, Manual of Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS), 2020.
Emergency Nurses Association. Emergency Nurses Pediatric Course Provider Manual, 5th edition, 2020.
Emergency Nurses Association (ENA). Sheehy’s Emergency Nursing: Principles and Practice, 7th ed. Elsevier, 2020.